There are many reasons that people decide they need a safer and more convenient way of getting from one floor to another in their home. Everyone has their own story regarding their motives and decision to find a home accessibility solution. Best Accessibility Solutions has Certified Environmental Access Consultants on staff. We can help with your home accessibility decisions based on the families’ personal wants and needs.
Traditionally there have been two main solutions for access between floors in the home environment. The simplest solution has been a stair lift. They fix to the stairs and usually do a great job of moving you safely from one floor to the other.
You are always limited to the location of a stairlift as it will only install on the stairs. The user must sit down and get up from a sitting position. Depending on the abilities of the user that may be difficult.
The other alternative to a stair lift would be a residential elevator. They are quick and easy to install and specifically designed to fit in your home. Unlike a stairlift, which can only be installed on the stairs, the user decides where the home elevator goes. This gives the user more options of location.
Travelling through the floor rather than up the stairs can sometimes be quicker, more direct and safer depending on the users’ abilities.
The home elevator also has a model that will accommodate a wheelchair, a walker or rollator. It’s a great option especially for those users that are non-ambulatory. This model also has the option of being a thru car. This allows you to enter at one side and leave at the other which avoids reversing your wheelchair backwards out of the elevator each time.
Best Accessibility Solutions always offers a free no hassle home assessment. Give us a call today so that we can help you decide on the best and most cost effective options for your home accessibility needs!
Visit our website at http://bas4u.com to see the many options that we offer for home accessibility!
Aging in place is something that smart seniors and baby boomers are beginning to think about. Remodeling a key space such as the bathroom can make their lives simpler, safer and more comfortable.
The bathroom also remains one of the most hazardous rooms in the home for seniors. Falls and accidents can be greatly reduced by integrating products and design for a more accessible and safe environment. Following are 8 ideas that can help a bathroom meet any need.
1. Walk in shower. A shower with no threshold makes entering the space easy for those who use a walker or wheelchair. Not having to step over anything when entering the shower will greatly reduce any risk of falls.
2. Built in shower seats. Built in shower seats offer a more comfortable experience for those who have trouble standing or keeping their balance. Most seats also save space in the shower by folding up against the wall.
3. Raised toilets. Toilets that are taller and about the height of a standard chair, can work great for people who have troubles bending or stooping. The higher toilet can also make the transfer to and from a wheelchair much easier.
4. Hand held shower. A flexible hose hand held shower mounted on a slide bar and paired with a standard showerhead, can be mounted low enough to accommodate seated and standing users.
5. Pull and lever handles. A lever or pull style faucet handles are much easier for arthritic or weaker hands. This type of hardware works well for doors and drawers also.
6. Grab bars. Most grab bars look like traditional towel bars now than the institutional-looking products. They are great placed inside and outside of the shower area for additional stability and also next to the toilet to help with sitting and standing.
7. Nonslip floors and mats. Having non slip mats in standing areas outside of the shower area and in front of the sink can help to greatly reduce falls when the floor is wet. There are also matte tiles and textured flooring available that is practical and stylish.
8. Accessible counters and sinks. Cabinets and counters that are wall mounted can be adjusted for height for seated users in wheelchairs or the like. Also wall mounted sinks or pedestal sinks make it much easier for mobility devices to navigate around the bathroom.
For more accessible bathroom ideas click here
Straight stairlift prices can range from $3,200 – $4,400 installed, depending on the model and options chosen. Custom curved stairlifts start at $6,500 installed and vary depending on additional options, stairway configuration and total length.
2) What Kind of Warranty is There?
All Bruno stairlifts are covered by an industry-leading, worry-free Gold Warranty. The Gold Warranty covers 5 years on all major components (motor, drive train) and 2 years on all parts. Best Accessibility Solutions also offers an additional worry free warranty on labor for 1 year. (The manufacturer will warranty the part but will not cover the labor to install it) this gives you peace of mind and a workmanship guarantee.
3) What is the Stairlift Weight Capacity?
The Bruno Elite stairlifts can accommodate up to 400 lbs. of lift capacity, while the Elan models has a capacity of 300 lbs. Best Accessibility Solutions will showcase all the different Bruno stairlift models and features during your free in-home consultation.
The Bruno vertical platform lift provides safe and efficient access to a raised deck, porch, or even floor to floor access inside your home. A platform lift is a great way to ensure safety and convenience every time you enter or exit your home.Read More
Buying your stairlift over the internet will save you some money, but who is going to ensure that it has been installed properly and safely according to the manufacturers specifications?Read More
It is that time of year and everyone in Lake County Illinois has spent the whole winter cooped up in the house. Some of us don’t have the mobility to be able to just get up and go once the nice weather comes. A mobility scooter lift for your vehicle may be just the solution you need to get out and about. You would be surprised at how affordable and easy it is to install a Scooter mobility lift.Read More
Lift chairs are a great lifting aid to seniors and those with mobility and health issues. The ability to stand up and sit down from your current chairs or couches within your home may be difficult with and injury or with severe arthritis of the hips or knees. Read More
When it comes to selecting a scooter lift for your vehicle, proper installation and product selection are important. This will result in a safe and stable driving vehicle and exterior platform scooter lift combination.Read More
Your home’s lovely curved staircase was once a highlight. Now it’s become a challenge. Bruno’s Custom Curved Rail Stairlifts restore the function of your staircase for everyone, in beautiful, graceful style.Read More
You have this newfound sense of independence now that you have purchased a scooter or power wheelchair. It’s wonderful to be able to get around your house and property but how do you get it to another location?Read More